You are here:   HomeAbout usHistory

Upcoming events

Contact us

logo-urc-bluerounded

History

Print PDF

History of the Fellowship

Congregationalism in High Wycombe can be traced back to the mid-seventeenth century

Early Days

Following the Act of Uniformity in 1662 many clergy of the Church of England were ejected. One of them, the Revd. Samuel Clarke came from Grendon Underwood to live in Easton Street, where he formed a church in his house which continued up to his death in 1701.

Early records show that a group of Non-Conformists met from 1713 in Crendon Lane Meeting House, the first church building to be erected.

In 1779, for reasons we do not know, there was a division among those attending the Crendon Lane Meeting House and a few members moved to a small building in Easton Street and from there to an "ancient loft called Old Eberneezer" (The Book of Wycombe, Ivan Sparks) which is said to have been in Crendon Lane, in 1850 they then moved to Easton Street, on the present site opposite Pann Mill.

Buildings

The current building was erected, as the foundation stone states, "on the 30th day of April A.D.1850 by the Reverend John Hayden" and so Trinity as it is known was built.

It was not until 1883, however, that the Crendon Lane worshipers united with Trinity, to become one membership. The premises in Crendon Lane were kept for Sunday School and also weekday activities.

When Crendon Lane was widened to become Crendon Street, the Crendon Lane Meeting House was sold and, with the proceeds Crendon Hall was added in September 1923. A commemorative stone was laid in that building to the memory of those who had died in the 1914-1918 war. A further extension called the Lionel Jowett and Kate Smith rooms were opened on 7th April 1984, during the Ministry of the Reverend Edward J. Ward MBE

The Church sanctuary currently is a Grade 2 listed building.

The photographs below show the changing face of Trinity from 1924 and 2006 on the left to the two right hand images in 2010 after the most recent renovations

Trinity through the ages

Formation of The United Reformed Church

Trinity was formerly a Congregational Church. The United Reformed Church was brought into being in 1972 when the 'Congregational Church' and the 'Presbyterian Church of England' united. The denominational name was then changed to the 'United Reformed Church'.

Thanks to Joan Standage for writing this article.

| + - | RTL - LTR